Monday, January 29, 2007

Of descriptions and roles.

I came across a newspaper article that described Kamlesh Pattni as a "billionaire businessman, evangelist and philanthropist". Businessman, I understand. Evangelist, maybe. But philanthropist? Last time I checked, this word was used to describe people who demonstrate great love for others, who make efforts to alleviate the suffering of others. People like mother Theresa come to mind.

Now this dude Kamlesh, everyone knows he got into a scam that fleeced this country of billions of shillings, sparking off runaway inflation and the general rundown of the economy causing millions untold suffering. Philanthropist my foot!

Onto other matters, I pity Maoka Maore. He's the one who first enlightened us on the Anglo Leasing scandal. But does anyone today talk about him and Anglo Leasing? No. Its always John Githongo this, John Githongo that. He (Githongo) is hogging all the glory and credit for exposing the scandal. Mutuma Mathiu, in an article in yesterday's Nation, called him the whistle blower(wish I knew how to put links). Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Githongo exposed the cover up attempts, not the scandal itself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are not the kid bro that now towers over me I will be damned. Word up from Philly!!!

Chatterly said...

Kamlesh philanthropist? I laugh.