Tuesday, February 6, 2007

The houseboy and the tyre.

I was a very mad man this morning. Today, for the first time in years I reported late for work. I was a whole ten minutes late. Now that in itself is not a very bad thing. It's the stress you go through before you get late. Stuck in a jam, moving one inch at a time, seeing the minutes tick by, and then maybe the fuel gauge decides to tell you that you are doing "enough" (E).

And all this was because of this new houseboy my sister sent me from ukambani. Now I'm not trying to disparage anyone here but he's the thickest fokojembe (dunderhead) I have ever met. He washed the car like he does each morning and by the way, I've noticed that he thoroughly enjoys this task. Why, even in the evening he eyes that car like he wants to wash it again. Like if i snap my fingers he'd jump to it with relish. I dont like misusing guys, however. Anyway,he washes the tyres too so he must have seen the flat. And the idiot does not tell me I have a flat so I do not notice till I am well out of my compound.

Now why would he notice a flat tyre and not say it? I thought about it and concluded;

This guy doesn't know tyres look the way they look because they contain air in them. Like, a tyre is a tyre so the car should move. Well, it may look flat where it touches the ground, but the rest of it is round. In fact there's more round than flat so that's no issue.

Or,

This guy is not that thick and knows about the air but he thinks that the car, being the wonder machine it is, will by some mechanism inflate the tyre to the desired pressure once the engine
starts running. Yaani I hit the ignition and voila! Tyre's good to go.

Otherwise why else wouldn't he tell me?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

pardon the poor lad. Maybe he is afraid of talking to you, or maybe he forgot to tell you, or maybe he wanted to see how you react when mad...

Princess said...

Pole about the puncture..haven't used that word in a long time!! Fortunately, you were only ten minutes late!!

Anonymous said...

Pole sana, good help is so hard to come by!

Juju said...

pengine hajui how a flat tyre looks, or thot it didnt matter, the car would still run. ;)

mama shady said...

maybe he saw it and thought he had done something wrong. woi!forgiv him, he's an eager lad

Anonymous said...

You get what you pay for.

Aish--itsofhow huko kenya?
Yaani you ask your housie to wash your car and you thinks he is also your mechanic.
Itabidi uongeze pesa boss.
There is no cover-up , "investigator" is not in his job description.

Aizoh said...

@mwari
Yeah I've forgiven the kafellow.
@princess
Kwani what word do you use for that deflating defect?
@aco
Yeah especially those with some brains.
@majonzi
Or he prolly thot it would sprout some wings and fly.
@mama shady
Eager. I like that.
@alexcia
Unafikiri mi namchotea rwabe? Nachota fiti dadi.Kenya tuko poa lakini magondi wamezidi. Wanadedisha mpaka makarao. Tutatoboa lakini.

veri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
veri said...

you sound intense. forgive him. you have the same zodiac symbol as my brother.

Anonymous said...

Veritas: After blogging about it I felt much better. By the way,with this anonymity in the blogosphere you never know. You could blog with your own bro and not know it.

veri said...

my bro doesn't blog and if he does it would be temporary to impress a certain blogging chic he met to bone.

modoathii said...

nikucheka tu nitacheka. maybe, the homie was hoping ati you'll ditch the tyre then he'll kimbiza it huko shagz and tengeneza akalas for the whole village. umemkatsia jo.

and very true about blogging...very true.

Jadekitten said...

Ouch! Pole. Dude, well, maybe that was just the devious side of him thinking 'wacha kateseke leo'..or maybe not. You shd prolly jus ask him...he he...

Anonymous said...

@modoathii
yaani he thought atakuwa mdongra na ma akala eh? ha ha!
@jadekitten
Well,the guy later told me he dint notice it. Cos it was still dark, (I leave quite early) I gave him the benefit of doubt.Shindwe.

akiey5 said...

Discovering a flat tyre just before you take off for work is one of the nastiest experiences & it's many times worse when temps outside are -28C in the dead of winter.

Like some suggested here...ongeza pesa zaidi or redefine the guy's job description.

GuestBlogger said...

picture this. year 1999. driving to school i had a flat...changed it...went chiromo...had the second flat...no one to hook me up with a lift and those were days of no mobiles

so i convince y pal that the morning flat was not as bad/flat so we chaneg tyres and decide afadhali we drive to that petrol station in kile than vic preston.

and imagine we managed