Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Random thoughts.

Just some thoughts. Everyone has strong points and weak points. And the way I see it is for every weak point one has, he's gotta have loads of good points to counter that. What do I mean? Lets take a house for example. It may take six months to build a house but all that effort can be wasted in a day if you wanted to demolish the house. Unless it is achieved fraudulently, it takes so much effort to progress. Yet I have observed,sadly, that many of us make some progress and then allow our weaknesses to derail our way forward and destroy what we have already achieved.

I am saying this with some particular guys in mind. Some behave like money burns holes in their pockets to their skin. Some even seem to have a death wish. Discipline is something that seems to be foreign to them. I know guys who receive mshande and you dont see them till the money's run out.

The biggest weaknesses suffered by the average Kenyan worker are alcohol and women. There are other vices of course but these dont seem to have hit our average worker in a magnitude that would cause real worry as far as the wider society is concerned. Drugs are there of course and are admittedly a danger especially to our youth. Gambling? Maybe among the more affluent members of our society.

What is it that these people lack? I dont want to portray myself as a Mr. Perfect. Far from it. I have been known to overdo things many times myself and find myself cursing again and again the next morning for my escapades the previous night but for the most part I manage to keep my desires in check.

Methinks we lack discipline. We just cant seem to know when enough gets enough or even if it's not enough , we cant afford any more( Yeah, gotta pay rent,right?). Some people, once they are in it, they just let the good times roll and to hell with everything else. A very destructive trait.

Of course ladies are more disciplined than men when it comes to handling money matters. Okay, I've met quite a number of ladies who also cant stop once they've taken the first drink and even some whose pants get real loose after that. But on the whole, I think women are generally better handlers than men.

Or are they plain stingy? I dont know. But what I do know is I am seeing more and more women apparently doing well financially than was the case some time ago. More women are driving big ass cars. More women holding big jobs in this town. More women engaging in lucrative businesses. In fact, if it was just discipline I think women would be doing much better than us by now. Wangekuwa madongra kutushinda.

So it's not just discipline. I think what keeps men ahead is the fact that despite their weaknesses, men are more aggressive in their quest for wealth, more adventurous and more ready to take risks. Women wont risk a coin. They take it where they are absolutely sure of the transaction otherwise it had rather just cool its heels in the bank. The day they acquire above mentioned attributes, woe unto us!

I know this is not a well organised post and I'm not an expert on social issues but I was just letting my fingers walk over the keyboard with my thoughts prodding them. Hope you have some opinion about this.

6 comments:

mama shady said...

hmmm, dont know if chics are more disciplined...seen chics blow money on very random things, on the regular!makeup...sufurias.as for the guys spending all their cash...must be something to do with that risk-taking. yap, chics tend to play it a little safer...i have my own random theories on that, but times are a changing!in some areas that may be a good thing lakini in others...most likely not.as for that stinginess, i can see all guys nodding saying to themselves..'i buy the coffeee, the icecream, the...etc etc'

Anonymous said...

Of course ladies are more disciplined than men when it comes to handling money matters.
I completely differ, the fact is that you are noticing these women because they are more visible then they were in the past when few women were making it big. Just go look at who most of the local large scale entrepreneurs are in Kenya and it is men. But yes women are catching up but men do tend to be more fiscally disciplined.
Do you know that in a household 80% of buying decisions are made by the wife? Men dont like to spend much and women who are single spend lots too. That is why most bankrupcty here in the States is filed by single women.

Aizoh said...

@mama shady
First of all, say hi to Shady when you get home(lol).Yeah I know chics are given to impulsive buying but on the whole,when it comes to investment they go for the safer ones.About spending on men, one told me the other day,"It's natural. Men are supposed to provide." And she's my boss! I had to foot the bill.

@Aco,
Picture this. I have 10k. I give mamaa 5k. Later in the week, I most probably will be asking her for money for fuel.Men control big business cos of their being aggressive etc, but I am talking about thrift. You should see men on spending overdrive at Nairobi west on a saturday.

meek meek said...

i dont think women are better at handling their cash...take me for example im out to please the world...i hardly have a penny left for myself at the end of this pursuit of friendship so dont feel alone.

mama shady said...

definitely in investments women choose safer options, probably because we havent been in the game for as long as guys have.hmmm, maybe women are better planners, guys better maximisers?but that distinctino is blurry...at the end of it all, money is meant to be spent.whose the wiser is the question

mama shady said...

hehehe, ive chekad...hakuna baby shady!the name is a long short story.